COVID-19 Safety Acknowledgment -- Liability Waiver and Release of Claims
and ASTA Code of Conduct
By registering for this event, in-person conference participants must agree to the ASTA Code of Conduct and the Liability Waiver and Release of Claims.
ASTA Code of Conduct: Policy & Leadership Development Conference (PLDC)
There is always inherent risk in participating in any activity. Due to the circumstances created by COVID-19, there is a heightened degree of personal risk and responsibility. ASTA will be taking all legal, prudent and advisable measures to reduce the risk of virus/illness transmission between people while touring these labs. Despite our best efforts, we will be unable to reduce the level of risk to zero.
All PLDC Conference Attendees must comply with the following code of conduct in order to participate:
- Wear a mask at all times, for those not fully vaccinated (defined as having received your final shot at least two weeks prior).
- Maintain a six-foot distance from other attendees.
- Handshakes should be replaced with elbow bumps.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Sit in your designated seat and do not change seats once yours is selected.
- Enter the meeting room at the assigned time, when applicable.
- Complete a daily health screening on your mobile phone and show proof of a successful screening upon entry to the conference area.
- Complete a successful, non-fever temperature check upon entry to the conference area.
- Comply with instructions from food service personnel.
- Avoid gathering in small groups unless six feet of distance is maintained.
- Do not come to the conference area if you are experiencing any of the following:
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- New muscle aches or pains
- Frequent sneezing
- Have a COVID-19 test done in the same day that you have experienced any of the above symptoms.
- Do not come to the conference area if you have recently had a positive COVID-19 test or had close contact with someone who has had a positive test.
NOTICE: Anyone violating the ASTA Code of Conduct will be asked to leave the conference area immediately and discontinue their in-person participation. A virtual option to view our sessions will be provided. If you have a positive COVID-19 test, you will be asked to isolate in your guest room and may require a longer hotel stay. If a conference participant has a positive COVID-19 test during our event, the event area will close for 24 hours for deep cleaning before in-person events will resume.
COVID-19 SAFETY INFORMATION:
While participating in events held or sponsored by the American Seed Trade Association (“ASTA”) “social distancing” must be practiced and face coverings worn at all times (for those not fully vaccinated) to reduce the risks of exposure to COVID-19. Because COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is spread mainly from person-to-person contact, ASTA has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. However, ASTA cannot guarantee that its participants, volunteers, partners, or others in attendance will not become infected with COVID-19.
In light of the ongoing spread of COVID-19, individuals who fall within any of the categories below should not engage in ASTA events and/or other face to face activities. By attending an ASTA event, you certify that you do not fall into any of the following categories:
1. Individuals who currently or within the past fourteen (14) days have experienced any symptoms associated with COVID-19, which include fever, cough, and shortness of breath among others;
2. Individuals who have traveled at any point in the past fourteen (14) days either internationally or to a community in the U.S. that has experienced or is experiencing sustained community spread of COVID-19; or
3. Individuals who believe that they may have been exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 or have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are not yet cleared as non-contagious by state or local public health authorities or the health care team responsible for their treatment.
DUTY TO SELF-MONITOR:
Participants and volunteers agree to self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (symptoms typically include fever, cough, and shortness of breath) and, contact ASTA at email@example.com if he/she experiences symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days after participating with ASTA.
LIABILITY WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS:
I acknowledge that I derive personal satisfaction and a benefit by virtue of my participation and/or voluntarism with ASTA, and I willingly engage in ASTA events and/or other related activities (the “Activity”).
RELEASE AND WAIVER.
I HEREBY RELEASE, WAIVE AND FOREVER DISCHARGE ANY AND ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DEMANDS OF WHATEVER KIND OR NATURE AGAINST THE AMERICAN SEED TRADE ASSOCIATION AND ITS AFFILIATED PARTNERS AND SPONSORS, INCLUDING IN EACH CASE, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THEIR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS, AND AGENTS (THE “RELEASED PARTIES”), EITHER IN LAW OR IN EQUITY, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES OR LOSSES CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE, FAULT OR CONDUCT OF ANY KIND ON THE PART OF THE RELEASED PARTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DEATH, BODILY INJURY, ILLNESS, ECONOMIC LOSS OR OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES, OR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, WHICH I, MY HEIRS, ASSIGNEES, NEXT OF KIN AND/OR LEGALLY APPOINTED OR DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVES, MAY HAVE OR WHICH MAY HEREINAFTER ACCRUE ON MY BEHALF, WHICH ARISE OR MAY HEREAFTER ARISE FROM MY PARTICIPATION WITH THE ACTIVITY.
ASSUMPTION OF THE RISK. I acknowledge and understand the following:
1. Participation includes possible exposure to and illness from infectious diseases including but not limited to COVID-19. While particular rules and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious illness and death does exist;
2. I knowingly and freely assume all such risks related to illness and infectious diseases, such as COVID-19, even if arising from the negligence or fault of the Released Parties; and
3. I hereby knowingly assume the risk of injury, harm and loss associated with the Activity, including any injury, harm and loss caused by the negligence, fault or conduct of any kind on the part of the Released Parties.
MEDICAL ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND RELEASE. I acknowledge the health risks associated with the Activity, including but not limited to transient dizziness, lightheaded, fainting, nausea, muscle cramping, musculoskeletal injury, joint pains, sprains and strains, heart attack, stroke, or sudden death. I agree that if I experience any of these or any other symptoms during the Activity, I will discontinue my participation immediately and seek appropriate medical attention. I DO HEREBY RELEASE AND FOREVER DISCHARGE THE RELEASED PARTIES FROM ANY CLAIM WHATSOEVER WHICH ARISES OR MAY HEREAFTER ARISE ON ACCOUNT OF ANY FIRST AID, TREATMENT, OR SERVICE RENDERED IN CONNECTION WITH MY PARTICIPATION IN THE ACTIVITY.
As a participant, volunteer, or attendee, You recognize that your participation, involvement and/or attendance at any American Seed Trade Association event or activity (“Activity”) is voluntary and may result in personal injury (including death) and/or property damage. By attending, observing or participating in the Activity, You acknowledge and assume all risks and dangers associated with your participation and/or attendance at the Activity, and You agree that: (a) the American Seed Trade Association (b) the property or site owner of the Activity, and (c) all past, present and future affiliates, successors, assigns, employees, volunteers, vendors, partners, directors, and officers, of such entities (subsections (a) through (c), collectively, the "Released Parties"), will not be responsible for any personal injury (including death), property damage, or other loss suffered as a result of your participation in, attendance at, and/or observation of the Activity, regardless if any such injuries or losses are caused by the negligence of any of the Released Parties (collectively, the "Released Claims"). BY ATTENDING AND/OR PARTICIPATING IN THE ACTIVITY, YOU ARE DEEMED TO HAVE GIVEN A FULL RELEASE OF LIABILITY TO THE RELEASED PARTIES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
In accordance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations, all attendees who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 are required to wear a face mask, with no vents or openings, that fully covers their nose and mouth. A face shield alone does not count as a face covering. A mask is not considered "on" unless it covers both the nose and mouth and should be changed after 8 hours.
Non-vaccinated attendees are permitted to remove their face masks when briefly eating or drinking. Refusing to wear a face mask during the conference could result in removal from the conference and/or prohibition from future ASTA events.
Masks will be provided to conference attendees or you can supply your own. Non-vaccinated attendees who do not wish to wear a face mask are welcome to join us for the virtual portion of our conference.